Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Talkeetna - Finally we see the Big Mountain!!


The Denali glacier landing on my flight
Denali almost shows itself from an overlook just outside Talkeetna

      Friday morning we decided to drive to Talkeetna because the weather looked to be pretty nice. I was scheduled to take a flight seeing tour of Denali on Saturday but with the good weather I thought I'd stop by Talkeetna Air Taxi to see if they had any openings for this day instead. Sure enough they said to come back around 3:30 that afternoon and I could go. On the way back later on we saw Denali partly open from an overlook just outside of town. We got back to the airport and watched planes come and go for awhile before checking in again. TAT offered to let me go on a flight that was about 30 minutes longer than I had paid for plus this one would to my surprise include a glacier landing. (an $85 extra at no charge to me) Wow what a great company. I highly recommend them to anyone wanting to fly around Denali.


     As it turns out I was allowed to fly up front with the pilot in our Turbine Otter. The weather was nice and the views of the mountain were great. Landing on the glacier was a real nice bonus too. Our pilot got us in close to the mountain...so close I never used the telephoto lens with the camera just the wide angle. Joyce ran into our friend Toni at the airport just as I was about to leave and they ended up hiking around a lake near Talkeetna while I flew. Thanks Toni! I hope you enjoy a few of the 200 pictures I took while on my flight.






 



No comments:

Post a Comment