Sunday, October 21, 2012

Enjoying Fall Colors at Home


      I have enjoyed reading the blogs of friends that we met and spent time with on our hikes along the Appalachian Trail last year; Flame (Erma), Snakehips & Spud (Tom & Sue), Pigeon (Toni), Country Mouse & Shadow (Clara & BJ), Zig Zag (Rebecca) to name a few. I have been reluctant to start this blog, not due to lack of material so much, but because I feel I don't have the writing talent and wit of the folks mentioned above. With that being said, I am going to give this a  shot and see how it goes. Please feel free to add comments...positive only (just  kidding).

Colorful vine climbing the Red Pine tree past the bat house

Red bush in our backyard displaying beautiful fall colors

We have been enjoying the nice autumn color display for the past 3 weeks around our place. The leaves have been falling quite a bit this past week and many of the trees have lost most of their leaves. Joyce has been using the lawn sweeper behind the lawn tractor to pick up the leaves and put them on her garden. She tills those into the soil and gets the garden set for next summer.

We had a nice surprise this past Tuesday as my cousin Tim and his wife Cindy stopped by for a short visit. We went for a walk through the woods and enjoyed the nice color, making it back to the house dry as it started to spit a bit of rain.
It was great to catch up with them again.

Yesterday was a pleasant day and we spent most of the day outdoors.
Joyce worked on trimming raspberries in the garden along with raking and sweeping leaves. I went to the woods and cut firewood in the morning. In the afternoon I decided to cut down an oak tree in front of my work shop. It has been dying (damage from the fire we had when the shop burned down several years back) I made sure it wouldn't fall on our garage and stretched a rope from the tractor to put tension on the tree. It dropped right where I had planned. Amazing! They don't always cooperate that way. 

Oak tree after I cut it down.

Well I guess that's it for this entry. I will add others to catch up on other things we've been up to soon. Thanks for following along.    Greenstone (Jeff)



2 comments:

  1. Looking gorgeous up there! To bad though...I liked that tree :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What awesome fall color! You and I both know what comes next---Winter! Along with cold and snow! Glad I'm in Texas!

    ReplyDelete